Wednesday, April 23, 2008

From Trash to Flash

I'm talking about the flash of light when you flick a switch. Energy. Clean energy ... from trash!?! Sounds like an oxymoron, doesn't it? Imagine that question amplified by the expression I had when I was driving out to my Earth Day destination in Okahumpka. I know ... you're thinking the same thing I was thinking, "Oh, ka, huh?"

I celebrated Earth Day by learning how to create energy from waste. Fortunately, it did not turn into an episode of Dirty Jobs and to the contrary was very clean and green.

Located in Okahumpka, about a 40 minute drive outside of Mount Dora, is a fantastically "green" company called Covanta Energy. They hosted an Earth Day Celebration featuring guest speakers, tours of their energy-from-waste facility and a Central Florida Clean Technologies mini-trade show exhibiting local businesses experienced in recycling technology, alternative fuels, hybrid vehicles, green builders and eco-friendly businesses. Because our lodging at Tremain Street Cottages is currently the only certified green lodging in Lake County, Brian and I attended to represent Mount Dora.


I have to admit, I was a little skeptical. How could burning garbage not produce a ton of pollution and leave a huge carbon footprint? Had I done my research beforehand, I would have known that more than half of the equipment in the facility is used to make certain the air is clean. Electronic monitoring systems continuously measure and record emissions. Big brother is watching.


I commend Covanta for their environmental stewardship. They take the term Reduce, Reuse, Recycle to a whole new level. Convanta operates 30 energy-from-waste facilities around the world, and I'm proud that we have one serving us here in Lake County. To learn more about Covanta Energy, check out their website at: http://www.covantaholding.com/

I'm also very excited that Lake County is home to many other eco-conscious residents. Such as Emilio with Environmental Services that runs his truck on vegetable oil. And Kenneth who is opening First Green Bank, a bank that is dedicated more green then just money.

"If there is to be an ecologically sound society, it will have to come the grass roots up, not from the top down."- Paul Hawken, The Ecology of Commerce

--Rachelle

No comments: