Friday, February 22, 2008

Retail Therapy

After a busy week, I walked downtown this afternoon for some retail therapy and ended up with the added benefit of some aroma therapy as well. The scent of cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg lured me into Whispering Winds ... a little shop downtown that is under new ownership.

The new wares of this shop offer a refreshing reprieve from the typical franchised gift & furniture stores you find in the mall. Offering hand made pottery & jewelry, free-trade gifts, cottage-style furniture, old fashioned toys, & bamboo fabric shirts ... you can tell there is a lot of Eco-friendly thought put into what they order.

I ended up purchasing the scented item that drew me in ... a spice heated trivet handmade in Guatemala. And at a cost of only $12, I made a mental note that this would make a fantastic and affordable housewarming or hostess gift. Love it.

Afterwards I stopped by the Village Coffee Pot to share a cup of coffee with the owner and long-time Mount Dora resident Ahktar. He always has a friendly smile and a good story to share. If you're ever downtown and it's too hot for coffee ... I have to suggest his homemade cappuccino flavored ice cream. It's to LIVE for!

What a great afternoon of retail therapy. I was able to appease my shopping urge, get a caffeine pick-me-up and walk home with a smile.


--Rachelle

No comments: