Thursday, May 22, 2008

Rock Springs

We finally escaped the office for an afternoon of fun in the sun and relaxation. I packed a picnic basket full of snacks, grabbed a couple of blankets, beach towels, a good book and we headed to Rock Springs/Kelly Park.

As soon as we parked and started walking the boardwalk down to the water, I had "instant calm." If I could capture this feeling and store it in a jar, it would be my yoga in a bottle.

The breeze was rustling the leaves in the trees and the cicadas had started their summer hum. Because it was a weekday, we practically had the whole park to ourselves and we were surrounded by nothing but peace and quiet.

Immediately my A-type personality starting berating "myself" for not coming here more often and then started scheduling it in my head, "I could come every Monday at 2:00 ... it's only a short 15 minute drive away!"

Plunging into the cold water shocked my body enough to shut up those pesky voices in my head reciting my "to-do lists" and "should-do lists" for a little while so I could relax and just enjoy the moment.

Rock Springs is located in Orange County, just a short drive outside of Mount Dora. The springs bubble up through a limestone cave and 26,000 gallons of crystal clear cold water flow from the mouth of this spring each minute.

The water slowly meanders down a scenic stream, an all-natural lazy river. The temperature is a bit nippy, around 78 degrees. Which makes it perfect for cooling off in our hot summer months. There is plenty of shade, picnic areas and grassy spots for spreading out a blanket napping.

We are so lucky to be surrounded by some of Florida's best springs. To me, this is better than the beach. All the cool refreshing water without all the salty stickiness.

--Rachelle

No comments: